And the short answer is: when they are receiving meals through Dinners with Love, they eat just about anything they want!
Each week, we get in touch with the families in our program and invite them to order two meals of their choice from one of our restaurant partners. The emphasis is on choice: they get to enjoy fresh, delicious meals made just for them. We have a wide variety of restaurants– neighborhood diners, fast-food burger joints, farm-to-table bistros, sandwich shops, gourmet French restaurants, taquerias, steakhouses, breakfast spots, pizza parlors, and more.
One meal is for the patient, the other is for a caregiver. We place the order for them, and then a volunteer will pick up the meals and deliver them to families at home. At the moment, we have a team of 50 volunteers and 115 restaurants who work together each week to bring food and comfort to 80-90 families throughout the state of Vermont. So far this year, our volunteers have delivered more than 3,000 meals–that's up from 2,000 in all of 2017!
Here's a look at what some of our families have eaten this year–
- Sautéed Shrimp and Blue Crab with Fresh Shallots, Spinach, and Red Peppers tossed with Penne Pasta in a Savory Garlic Cream Sauce
- Chicken Tenders with Sweet Potato Fries
- Blackened Salmon with Mango Pineapple Sauce
- Bison Burger with Cheddar Cheese and Fries
- Chicken Fajitas
- Fish & Chips
- Stuffed Acorn Squash filled with Wild Rice Medley, White Beans, Peppers, Mushrooms and Braised Kale
- Mac-n-Cheese topped with Pulled Pork
- Butternut Squash Ravioli in an Orange Sage Cream garnished with Fried Sage Leaves
- Pepperoni Pizza
- Sub with Prosciutto, Fresh Mozzarella, Lettuce, Tomato, and Onion
- Cast iron roasted Chicken Statler Breast with Spinach Macadamia Pesto and Fig Balsamic Reduction
- Faroe Island Salmon Fillet with Quinoa Salad and Maple Ginger Vinaigrette
- Chicken & Biscuits
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan